Tuesday, December 18, 2012

All Things Christmasy

I live for candy canes, Christmas music and have to watch at least 10 Christmas classic movies this time of the year.  I even have Frosty the Snowman (my all time favorite) on DVD.

I think I owe my love of all things Chritmasy to my mom.  For as long as I can remember, every December, my mom transformed the house into a winter wonderland.  A lot of the decor has been around since I was little and it holds a fond place in my heart.

So with out further ado, I give you the official Christmas tour of my parents humble abode!



This little tree made of Christmas bulbs was on "Oprah's Favorite Things" list several years back.  My dad loathes this thing.  I swear every time he passes by, he give it the stink eye.  Sadly, this year the lights finally died on "Oprah's tree"...  My dad's volunteered to throw it out!


This has been my advent calender since I was a wee little one.  Every day, a little stuffed figure is taken out and hung on the tree.  I use to be very meticulous in making sure every figure had it's own space on the tree.  That meant saving the little one's for the top as the spaces got closer and closer together.  Now when ever I go home, I have catch the tree up to the current date.  After all these years, it's still one of my favorite things to do!


I've always loved Christmas villages and my mom's is awesome!  For a while every year we would add to the collection until one day we had an abundance of decor, so that the village was soon a bustling city.  Now, here sits my mom's peaceful little Christmas city, happily gleaming with warm holiday light.


Last year my Mom helped me start my own little village by buying my first two buildings.  In case you're wondering the village is from "The North Pole Series" made by Department 56. Right now it's not much, but in a few years, I'm hoping to have the beginnings of my own Christmas town!



Saying my parents have tall ceilings is a vast understatement.  So finding a tree can be tricky.  There are certain qualifications a tree must have.  It must be a giant, an eleven footer, and a most massive evergreen.  It also has to be a long needled white pine per my mom's yearly request.  This year my dad quickly found this little thing.


It's the smallest tree (by feet and width) we've ever had.  But due to the ever shrinking long needled supply of evergreens this is the best my dad could do.  My mom went to town decorating this little smidgen of a tree.  Grandma Nacke handmade the fabric ornaments pictured below.  They were my favorite as a little girl and still are.  I also seriously wish I had the skills to make ornaments half as great as these!







My mom's decked the rooms, the halls, and the new front porch.  As the sun starts to set, my mom heads out and plugs in the decorations which light up the windows with some festive holiday cheer.




The Pinterest bug has bitten my mom in the form of this awesome homemade decoration.  She bought the evergreen branches, pine cones and had the mason jars and basket sitting around.  She filled each jar with Epsom salt and then added electric candles.  So Martha Stewart-esq! 


I hope you enjoyed this little Christmas tour!  I'm off to watch some Frosty on DVD.  What are some of your favorite things about Christmas... the tree, the decorations, the food, the chance to give to others?  Or are you just a Grinchy-Grinch when it comes to the Holidays?

1 comment :

  1. I love grandma Nackes' hand made ornaments as well. I wish someone would have taughtme to sew. Looking forward to seeing you in a few days. The kids fav showthis year is elf on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete