Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Beef, It's Whats For Dinner!

One of the greatest benefits of raising your own cattle is the never ending supply of beef in your freezer. 

This weekend Arren and I picked up our half of beef from the local butcher and put it in our brand new used freezer.


I'll admit, for someone who took a meats class in college, I had no clue what I was doing when telling the lady behind the counter what kind of cuts and how much I wanted.  But she was super helpful and got an A+ for her knowledge of cuts of beef and what each one could be used for, as well as putting up with my constant sputter of uhhs and umms.

A ton of what we got was made into ground beef or hamburger patties. 

I don't know why, but I thought there would be more steaks.  But then again, one calf can only produce so many.  I take for granted how easy it is to just throw a couple steaks on the grill and not have to pay for them at the grocery store.

We also got some ribs.  My parents usually have the ribs made into ground beef so here's hoping they are decent to cook with.  I don't like grilling ribs, they fall off the bone too easily and seem to dry out way too fast.  I've made them before by throwing them in a crock pot on low with some BBQ sauce and holy cow (no pun intended), those babies were delicious!

Of course we've got roasts coming out the wazoo.  Arm Roasts, chuck roasts, rump roasts, sirloin roasts...  I've never made Italian beef but I'm a big fan of my mom's, so this very novice chef is going to have to try it out.  Of course, you can't go wrong with a good old fashioned roast with potatoes thrown in.  And I'm also thinking some shredded beef BBQ is in our near feasting future!

No comments :

Post a Comment